TechHire, Opportunity@Work's flagship project, is a national network of communities, educators, and employers who believe that if you can do the job, you should get the job. Originally announced by President Obama in 2015 as a public-private initiative in 21 pilot communities, TechHire has become a rapidly growing national movement in 72 U.S. cities, states, and rural regions.
TechHire enables employers to fill entry-level, career-path, skilled tech jobs, by hiring trained job seekers with the ability to do the job - but who are overlooked by typical hiring practices and/or underrepresented in the IT field. In its pilot year, TechHire grew to include over 1300 employers, 237 community and training partners, and placed over 4000 people into jobs.
How Opportunity@work supports techhire
Opportunity@Work supports TechHire in four key areas:
BUILD THE MOVEMENT
- Mobilize key stakeholders to support and join TechHire
- Amplify community and employer success stories and impact
- Recruit and support new TechHire communities to join
- Facilitate events in support of TechHire’s mission, such as CodeSprints, hackathons, regional convenings and employer roundtables
SUPPORT TECHHIRE HUBS TO IMPLEMENT AND SCALE TECHHIRE
- Help identify and secure funding for TechHire community activities
- Provide access to regional labor market data through partnerships with Burning Glass, Linkedin and Glassdoor
- Create partnerships and securing resources to support the needs of the TechHire network
- Identify and share best practices and facilitating a national learning network
- Provide tools to ensure communities know where to start and how to progress, including the TechHire playbook, toolkits, and an impact tracking dashboard
- Aggregate resources and partnerships in support of overlooked and underrepresented individuals progressing along tech career pathways
GROW AND SUPPORT THE NATIONAL EMPLOYER NETWORK
- Sign up employers to join TechHire and provide tools to facilitate the
discovery of overlooked and underrepresented talent
- Facilitate the sharing of best practices and aggregating regional demand for candidates from non-traditional backgrounds
IMPLEMENT RHODE ISLAND LEARNING LAB
- Lead the overall implementation of TechHire Rhode Island in partnership with key local and national partners, with the goal of placing 2,000 Rhode Islanders into IT jobs in 5 years and building a national model for demand-driven tech talent development.
To learn more about TechHire communities, apply or join today, please visit techhire.org